This is my blog on warfare during the centuries gone. I will be presenting the reconstructions of historical battles and warriors based on historical sources: written, iconographical and on preserved pieces of arms and armor. I am going to follow current discoveries in military archaeology and history of warfare in order to make my reconstructions fresh and updated.

My blog is not focused on any specific time or place- you will find there warriors of different places and time. I hope you will enjoy my historical artwork.

sobota, 11 maja 2013

Early Sassanid cavalry



Here we see a heavy armored horseman from eastern Iran. He is based on the coins minted by Kushashans, "governors" or "viceroys" from the house of Sasan. Inanian and central Asian iconography atteats to the survival and local development of the Hellenistic muscle cuirass, at least among the highest status warriors. In the background a Sassanid mounted lancer, based on the famous Firusabad frieze, fights an Arab infantryman like his comrade in the foreground. They are both based on one of Shapur I's rock reliefs from Bishapur.

The first publication Ancient Warfare vol V. Issue 3

Sources

 



Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz